Outreachy: What? Why? How?
Outreachy: For all those who have never heard about it, outreachy is managed by Software Freedom Conservancy that provides three-month internship to women (cis and trans), trans men, and gender queer people.
For simplicity it can be thought of as a Google Summer of Code for specific genders and also with wide variety of projects ranging from coding. documentation, UI, advocacy etc.
Its no doubt that outreachy has served people to start a confident-bright career in tech.
I suggest all the eligible people to once apply for this amazing program once on their lifetime.
Many of you might have that question, Why? The answer lies in rest of the few lines from my personal experience:
Breaking the conventional barriers of the college degree or onsite industrial experiences outreachy teaches a person to be a self-learner, communicative, confident and what not.
I got to know about FOSS and the amazing opportunities it holds after knowing about this program :).
I got selected to this round of outreachy with OpenStack.
For all those interested in applying for the next rounds of outreachy following is the short how to:
* Learn about git and similar workflows early.
* Choose a project that interests you.
* Hang out on the organization's irc channels, talk to developers, mentors, co-ordinators.
* Make contributions related to the project during the application process and make sure your mentor knows about that.
* Prepare a solid application.